Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A new classic!


On my last two posts I conveyed feelings, memories and thoughts about classic books that I read as a child. Today let’s look at something more modern but a classic none the less. While in one of my favorite classes of my undergrad experience, "Children's Literature" I discovered a style of writing and storytelling that reminded me of why I loved to read in the first place, both as a child and as an adult. This book talked about magic and mysterious places, fantastic creatures and a lonely boy with a very special gift. This story spoke miles to me. It brought me back to my childhood once again (as many books that we read in that class did) where I could escape the realities of what life was and where the protagonist could have been me as a boy. If you haven't guess what book I'm talking about let me give you a hint: it's about a boy with glasses and a lighting scar on his forehead... you guessed it right, "Harry Potter"! This book (the first one) allowed many people and me as well, the escape from reality and a fantasy world many young readers and adults crave (even my 78 year old grandma read the whole series). A fantasy world that gave the opportunity for a shy lonely boy (do we see a pattern here) to be a hero and told the world that an individual no matter how insignificant, mattered. "Harry Potter" a new classic that many children and adults alike will be talking, reading and remembering for years to come. Yes, we all watched the movies and they were all great. However, pick up the book and experience it as it was meant to experience; where your mind does the editing and the special effects. I guarantee it will be a blockbuster!



No comments:

Post a Comment