Sunday, May 5, 2013

Magic, adventure and faraway lands


As a child I remember reading "A Thousand and One Arabian Nights" under the covers with a flashlight. I would do this because I would get in trouble for reading so late at night by the corporate who bought me the book, my mom. Growing up in a place where one TV. Channel was all that was available; my free childhood time after homework would have to be filled with something. I could only play so much or build forts with my brother for so long. After the day light left me and the cool of the evening arrived with its mysterious companion, reading was the escape to a place of magic, adventure and far away exotic lands. This book would free my imagination and let me to personalize the brave characters that I thought I would never be. This book allowed me to escape what I sometimes felt to be, a lonely and shy boy who was not as fast or creative as his younger brother and that didn't have many friends. Little did I know that I would have adventure and dangers ahead in this very far away land that is the United States. I have recently downloaded this book to my Kindle tablet and started reading it. Although I don't quite remember all the stories from this classic book, the feeling of anticipation towards an adventure entices and scares me at the same time. Entices me to go back when I was a child and relive the adventures I read. Scares me, that I will be going to bed too late and be tired at work tomorrow; different time, different reality and a different person same classic book. Pick it up and escape to your childhood. I dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment