Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A new take


Continuing with the idea of new classics, I was introduced to a new genre that may be is not so new. Let me explain what I mean. As a young boy and an avid fantasy reader I also spent countless hours reading Greek mythology. I love reading about Medusa, the Minotaur, the Kraken, Titans and powerful gods that took the form of humans to have children that they in turn would have god like powers. It was fascinating to imagine the son of Zeus fighting monsters or brave men going to the underworld and taking on Hades the God of the underworld (made for great and sometimes scary dreams, but so much fun). Greek mythology would embrace and nurtured my imagination like no other. Greek mythology is its own genre and one that we are all familiar with; however, a brilliant person thought to introduce this well established genre with a modern take. I’m talking about this fairly new series out in the young readers’ section called "Percy Jackson". This series is about a teenage boy who is the son of Poseidon God of the oceans, who is send to save the Gods from someone who has stolen the lighting rod of Zeus. First of all, great idea! A modern take on classic mythology for a whole new generation of young (and adult) readers to enjoy every day and twice on Sunday. I became aware of this series of books while ordering books through Scholastic Book club for kids when I taught elementary school. I found this premise absolutely wonderful and so did my students. I ended up ordering the whole series of books for my students and I to enjoy. So if you're in the mood to read about mythology with a modern twist, pick up the first book of the series, “Percy Jackson & the Lighting Thief” (or any other would do as well). Sure, it's in the young reader section; just pretend you’re buying it for your nephew. Hope you enjoy this new take on mythology, like my class and I did.

1 comment:

  1. I like greek mythology as well, but I like to read the history behind greek mythology.

    ReplyDelete