Tuesday, May 7, 2013

…but what are his stories REALLY trying to tell you?

Hans Christian Andersen, boy could he write a sad story! Those stories could definitely be tear jerkers; as was my experience reading his book and short stories when I was younger. The stories talked about an ugly duckling, a bare footed match-selling girl in the snow, an emperor’s garments or lack thereof and a very sad little mermaid with a very tragic ending. From his book I learned that not all stories have happy endings. Also, they taught a very sad boy (at times), about a sadder world out there. The stories however, did also teach me compassion and how to appreciate what I had and have which I’m grateful for to this day. In college and in a different language, I learned that these stories were written at a time where the poor needed something to believe in after the very sad and harsh existence they experience every day. Now that I’m older and had the opportunity to read these stories again, they tell and teach me different things such as; who were the stories written for and why, the time that they were written historically and they provide a different experience and insight. Aside from a very pleasant (and sad at times) trip down memory lane these same stories taught me 20 some years later, about social class in the 1800’s and the coping mechanisms of people from both ends of the social-economic spectrum in a very gloomy 17thcentury. Hans Christian Andersen how I appreciate thee! Thanks for the company and teachings as a 10 year old, and for the analytical and historical conversation in my thirties. I sure will pick this book up again in a few years and let you know what Hans tells me in my sixties. Go pick up his book and let me know what Hans tells you.

1 comment:

  1. I've always read fairytales for fun, especially as a child. I never really thought about the history of the authors or the stories themselves. Maybe I can think about it now that I am older.

    ReplyDelete