Monday, May 27, 2013

Tall, Dark and Disturbed… a Hero?

How to begin this new talk about something that I’m very passionate about? I love classic books they take me back to my childhood and they’ve shared a world of imagination that is incomparable. However, I do have other things that I love to read. There is this other genre that I particularly enjoy very much. I’m talking about a type of writing that I believe every kids reads and loves to imitate with a shower towel tied around one’s neck. Yep, you guessed right…Comic Books! When I started collecting them here in the U.S., they provided adventure and complicated story lines all wrapped up in beautifully drawn and colorful pages. Now don’t get me wrong, I love all these classic books I’ve talked about before and I have to say if it wasn’t for those books I would not enjoy comics as much as I do now. Comic books (or graphic novels as many prefer) are a bit different and they do provide mythology and adventure for millions of people, young or old. They have art and complicated characters with complicated lives fighting for good or even crossing the lines of “good” at times. One of my favorite comics is “The Batman”! Here is a person that watches his own family get murdered in front of him setting the stage for a very complicated character with psychological problems because of what he witnessed. Aside from the psychology of his character what attracts me most about this “Super Hero” is that he’s not a super hero at all. He doesn’t have any super powers. He is strong, agile and smart because he chose to train his body and mind to be the hero he is. Yes, he is rich and because of that he is able to accomplish a lot as Batman. However, many people forget or don’t know that he is actually a detective. He follows clues to solve a crime or to prevent it. This is what I appreciate most about Batman; he is a self made man and he uses his brains. He is strong, fast and smart because he set his mind to it. I appreciate this very much as a teacher, because life is about hard work and commitment to ones ultimate goals. Batman is the self made “person” that any of us can be if we work hard and have a goal. I love comics just as much as classics; they provide entertainment and mythology through pop-culture. At the same time comics may give the idea to a young person (as it did me) that if one works hard and sets a goal one can make that goal or dream a reality. So if you’re in the mood for some good art, good story lines and a very complicated protagonist pick up “Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight”, I guarantee it will be a “Holy of a good time” (as Robin would say).

No comments:

Post a Comment